If you are trying CBD for the first time, you probably have a lot of different questions about its use and its effects. One question a lot of people have is how long does it take to gain effects from CBD oil? This is something that we will answer in full detail in this guide.
Let’s take a look at how long it should take for you to start and feel the impact of CBD.
How long does it take for CBD to work?
Unfortunately, there is not a straightforward answer to this question. The truth is that it depends! For some people, it can be absorbed into the bloodstream within 20 minutes. For others, it can take two hours. However being in your bloodstream will not necessarily have the desired effect, you may need to introduce CBD into your daily routine for some weeks before you see some of the more subtle effects. It all depends on the type of CBD product you are using and the method of delivery. There are a number of other factors that are at play here as well, including your metabolism, body weight, and your age. Therefore, just because someone else experiences the impact of CBD within 30 minutes does not mean that it is going to be the same for you.
How long will it take for CBD to enter your bloodstream?
As touched upon, there are a number of different factors that are at play here. Plus, it also depends on your reason for taking CBD. If you need help with severe chronic pain, it may take quite a bit longer for this to be addressed than taking CBD for very mild anxiety, for example.
There are a number of different factors that are at play here, so we are going to take a look at them below:
- The method of intake - The first factor that needs to be considered is the method of intake. There are a lot of different products on the market today. CBD oil may be the most well-known, but you have everything from capsules and lotion to flowers and gummies today. Oils, capsules, edibles and gummies, creams and vapes all are different methods and are absorbed differently. The type of product you opt for is going to have a significant impact on how quickly the CBD will be absorbed into your bloodstream. This is known as bioavailability. It is imperative to understand this because it will have an impact on how much is going to be required for you to feel the impact of CBD. If you take your CBD oil orally, the bioavailability here is going to be between 13 and 19 per cent. Alternatively, if you decide to take it sublingually, the CBD will pass through your mouth tissues, instead of your digestive system, and so the bioavailability here is slightly higher, i.e. between 20 and 30 per cent.
- Potency and dosage - Not only does the method of intake have an impact, but so does the dosage and the potency of the CBD. Naturally, the quantity of CBD you take is going to impact how quickly it is going to take you to feel the impact. The more you take, the sooner you feel it. Make sure that your dosage falls in line with your goals.
- Your biology - As touched upon earlier, there are also a number of biological impacts at play here. Bodyweight, for example, can make a difference. Those who weigh more tend to have more fat cells in their body, meaning they will absorb and store CBD for longer. Other factors at play here include your endocannabinoid balance and metabolism. If you are someone who has a fast metabolism, you can expect to feel the effects of CBD come on a lot quicker. The endocannabinoid balance is currently being extensively researched by scientists to get a better understanding. However, the more imbalanced your endocannabinoid system is, the longer it is going to take for you to feel the effects.
- The quality of the CBD - Last but not least, we must mention CBD quality. Not all CBD products are created equally, and this is why it is pivotal to select with care. Sadly, some brands use adulterants, additives, and impurities, which will considerably impact how safe the product is. This is why you need to purchase your CBD oil from a reputable and regulated business, such as Origin40. If you are getting a high-quality product, the time it takes for the CBD to enter your bloodstream will be more predictable.
How you take CBD matters
As mentioned, the method of intake affects how fast and how much of the CBD is absorbed. Here is a short list outlining the different ways to take CBD.
- Vaping - Vaping is the fastest method of absorbing CBD into your bloodstream however the volume of CBD absorbed will be different depending on the duration the vapour is in your lungs so may vary depending on technique. This provides a near instant effect.
- Sublingually - Oil placed under the tongue has arguably the second fastest method of absorption with the remaining amount of swallowed oil being absorbed similarly to a capsule or edible. Effects are normally felt after 2-3 minutes.
- Edibles and Capsules - When eaten, CBD takes longer to be processed as the carrier must first be digested and not all of the CBD will be absorbed. Effects are normally felt after 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Final words on CBD and getting the dosage right
So there you have it: we hope that this guide has given you the answers you were looking for when it comes to taking CBD and how long it takes to work.
As is the case with any product, when it comes to CBD, it is imperative to purchase from a reputable and high-quality provider.
The good news is that you do not need to look far for some of the best CBD oil and CBD based products in the UK. Check out our hand-picked range today!